28 January 2006

Week3 - things are starting to come together

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Some good news from the school. This past Friday I met with the auto shop instructor. Interesting guy, been building his own formula Vee racecars and knows quite a bit about cars, mechanics, metalworking and the like.

At first glance, when we showed up at the school's doorstep, there was some resistance to assist, but after our talk, I got a different view of him. I suppose the things I said about T166 made something of an impression, he got interested enough to want to help, so much so that he is stopping by tomorrow.

We're finally settling in on getting parts made and the machine built. Lots of activity, though, and not a lot of accomplishment, I am afraid.

Parts are being made at our sponsor's model shop and we're actually cutting metal in the auto shop. I was formally trained on the MIG, TIG and spot welders and the 50-ton press. In the meantime, our other mentor shop magician was fabbing a tailstock so we could turn long rollers.

Tomorrow is another day, we'll see how far we get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home