18 January 2006

Middle of Week2

Several things happening here, first of which I have a bug, down and out, just got up about an hour ago (Noon, EST).

This week is finals for the team, so they have been attending sparsely, as they were advised to. However, that still dosen't make me feel as though we aren't stuck in the mud for a good reason.

The captains are not leading the crew in a manner that I would like to see. For example, we should have a better idea of what drive mechanism we will be using, what ball collecting scheme we want, and be at a decision point with the ball launcher. On Sunday, one of the mech team members' father came by with a baseball pitching machine which we used to verify calculations that were done to help determine the launcher's design. All well and good, we rebuilt a launcher based on that design and made it work. Yep, it launches balls, but not with much precision. A guide mechanism needs to be added... Something that I saw demonstrated at kickoff 5 seasons ago and really impressed me with its simplicity and performance. I tried to share this but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Last night, there were a sizable number of members there, but few from the mech. side of the house, and certainly not the mech. lead. My wife was there when the mech team went off in a corner and started laying plans this past Sunday, but that was done in what appears to be a vacuum. I had no idea what they had accomplished.

I had some thoughts since the game was revealed and shared them with several people whom I thought would be the keys to getting those ideas and thoughts to the rest of the team. That didn't seem to happen, so last night, I let them in on my ideas, something that I didn't want to do so directly, I want this machine to be theirs, not mine.

I hope that I will be feeling well enough to go the the meeting tonight.

One bright light this day is that the weather didn't turn out as nasty as predicted. The temperature is almost 60, rain is falling (not snow or freezing rain) and most of the ice on the roads has been melted away. This is really good news for the New England teams, certainly T166.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home